The Battle of Crundale, 1938
Of all the factions in Pembrokeshire, the King’s faction, led by Lord Tenby (son of Lloyd George and MP for Pembrokeshire at the time of the dissolution of government), was undoubtedly the strongest. However, it was surrounded by enemies, held a long and narrow corridor of land and struggled to maintain communications between the garrison towns of Haverfordwest, Clarbeston Road, Whitland, Narberth, Saundersfoot and Tenby. The railway was particularly vulnerable and was constantly patrolled by elements of the Landsker Brigade.
However, in the late summer of 1938, a Royalist military supply train carrying weapons, vehicles, ammunition and fuel, broke down near Crundale, in the valley of the Western Cleddau, a few miles north of Haverfordwest. The Bishop of St David’s spies were quck to report this fact and the Roch Castle Fencibles were soon marching from their positions near Camrose, with the intention of capturing the train and recovering this vital military materiel. However, the ‘Sir Thomas Picton’ Independent Cohort of the BUF’s XIII Legion were also racing to the scene…
Nevertheless, the BUF’s 1st Platoon takes the centre of the village first, while the bewildered village Bobby attempts to keep the peace. A local St John’s Ambulance Cadet also appears, eager to try out his skills:
Having reached their first objective – the road from Crundale to the bridge, the BUF suddenly find themselves in a dire predicament as their left-hand unit routs the field after only light casualties! The centre of the BUF position finds itself outflanked and under heavy fire:
The victorious Anglican League troops cross the bridge and capture the abandoned train. In addition to the piles of weaponry, ammunition and fuel, they also capture four trucks, a car and a Carden-Loyd Carrier with which to haul it away: